Monday, July 11, 2011

Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace

Sunday started early!! I had to be out in the lobby to meet up with the rest of our group for 7:20 am. Yea I know some of you folks reading this regularly wake up at 6am or earlier, (SUCKS TO BE YOU) but I do not. I specifically schedule my classes to not be before 10am. (Its great to be me) The bus was suppose to be departing at 7:30am.

         Needless to say, there was an issue with scheduling and the bus was 40 mins late. I climbed on the bus, camera bag in one hand and a 1.5 liter bottler of water in the other. I was kind of excited because the only castle I have ever seen was at Disney World, but I was kind of dreading this because I had not started my Business finance homework yet, and it was due the next day. As the bus starts rolling, I am hoping to sleep most of the way there. Our bus driver has other plans. It is rather difficult to sleep in a bus when it is weaving in and out of traffic and he was jumping on the brakes as hard and fast as a group of frat brothers after the last beer. Every time I started to fall asleep, I was jolted back to reality. As we climbed into the mountains the scenery grew very peaceful, tall mountains with a little bit of snow at the very top, green trees everywhere, my nerves were calmed, and I was able to take a short nap. We finally arrived at the base of Neuschwanstein Castle, and 30 cramped legged individuals climbed off the bus to stretch. The groups slowly left the parking lot, breaking into smaller groups, I found myself talking to Dr. Mallet. I turn to him on trips like this because he has been here 15 + times. On his advice I followed him to the bus that takes you above the castle, near the observation bridge. For 2 euro, I could save myself the walk, and get some incredible pictures he told me, so I was sold. Little did I know how comfortable  I would have to become with those on the bus with me. Wanting more bang for their Euro, the bus operator ensured that we felt more violated than a palyboy model with no bra on going through a TSA checkpoint. I at least had two random older ladies in front and in back of me, because I had an arse pressed against me (no it was not a nice one, and no I did not cop a free feel) and my arse was pressed perilously close to the woman behind me. I wondered how many men have had their wallets stolen on this bus...Yet I did not worry because I have been carrying my wallet in my front pocket. Now maybe it was wishful thinking, or maybe it really happened, but I think this mid 40s MILF squeezed my ass. If she was looking for a wallet, or if she gets excited grabbing random people, that I will never know. Squeezing off the bus, like cows being lead to a slaughter house, I started a climb (a vertical walk) to the observation bridge. This bridge is of relatively new construction, but there was a bridge that stood there in the 1840s, when King Ludwig the II was only a boy.







The climb was well worth it. The cool wind blowing, the view was breathtaking. I must have taken 30 pictures from this small footbridge, before descending down the path to go on the castle tour. I met up with the rest of my group at the castle, and I could not help but smile as I saw them all flushed in the face and out of breath from the climb up the "crag" as it is called. I must say I was greatly disappointed when I was informed no photography was allowed inside the castle. Now, before people yell at me, I do understand that FLASH photography can cause damage to many things, but in today's modern age, where you can shut a flash off with the push of a button, WHY was photography not allowed in the castle? I do not know.



I sit here searching for words to describe what I saw, and all I can come up with is wow, incredible, amazing, splendid, insane. Murals hanging everywhere, gold plating covering more inches than it was not covering. An interesting fact about the Neuschwanstein Castle is that is was not completed before King Ludwig the II's death. So there are only 14 completed rooms, the entire second floor is unfinished. The throne was never constructed, and therefore never placed in the throne room.




The room looks so empty with out the throne. It left an odd feeling in my stomach. The rest of the room however was amazing.


The chandelier hanging over the center of the room weighs approx. 2,000 lbs, and holds 100 candles.


After leaving the first castle, we traveled by bus to the Linderhof Palace. It too was one of King Ludwig the II's properties. He would spend on average two weeks out of every month at this residence. It is located in a rural area, and the king rarely had guests.

This photo was taken from high above the palace on the pathway leading back down from the Grotto... Yes I said Grotto. Hugh Hefner did not have an original idea! Ludwig's grotto was built by man, designed to host personal opera performances for the enjoyment of himself and a very few select friends. As it was built, it also had electricity, so a spot light with different color lens could be used to change how the grotto looked. Inside the grotto is a small rowboat, that Ludwig would use for pleasure, and as his seat during operas. Below the grotto swimming area is a large wood fired stove, which Ludwig would use to heat his water up to a nice swimming temperature of 35 Deg. Cel. That is between 86 and 104 deg F.  As I walked around this palace, there were sculptures and fountains everywhere. It truly was an amazing place.










This was my favorite sculpture on the property.  The water flowing down from above shoots out the horses' nostrils.

No comments:

Post a Comment