Friday, July 1, 2011

Munich Vs. Mongo Round 2

My day in Munich was nothing short of amazing. First, as it worked out, being a little late made my day even better. The original plan called for catching a 9am train, and while I woke up to my alarm, I did not wake Sebas up in time, so we were going to make it to the station for the 10:14 train. Well we got there, with only two minutes to spare. It being my first time trying to navigate the German rails, I did not rush it, I knew another train would come along. After figuring out which train I was going to take, I hung out for a while before finding my platform. While standing there, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see who on earth  would think they know me as in this country far away from my own, and it was none other than Michaela, a very funny and beautiful gal who I had met twice before. (Bonus for me – She speaks English) It was a pleasant surprise, but me and Michaela sat down together and talked until the train arrived. Upon climbing onto the train, we looked for an empty compartment to claim as our own, but unfortunately there were none. We settled for one in the middle of the train that was inhabitated by an older gentleman doing Sudoku.  We dropped our bags down and sat, talking for a while. I stared out the window and could help but notice how beautiful the countryside was, and my nose could not help but notice that it smelled like shit! Thirty minutes into our journey to Munich we stopped, and Jenny, Michaela’s friend joined us. As it turned out, Michaela and Jenny are going to Munich today to meet up with a group of people whom they met while during a semester abroad at Florida Gulf Coast State College. When Michaela asked me if I would like to spend the day with them, I was very excited! I will finally be around English speakers all day long. I hardly know what to do with myself. As we got to Munich Central Station, a plan formed in my head.

 Step 1. Get my reservations for the night train,
2. Secure my bag in a locker at the Central Station
 3. Enjoy a beer.


Steps one and two were easy to complete, and by that time our group of three turned into 7 with the arrival of everyone else.  Michaela had lived in Munich for six months, but we could not relay on her to get us where we wanted to go. Flo and Mark assumed the position of pointman, leading us out of the train station and into the underground station, and on the subway we got. The only problem was nobody checked the map. As it turned out we got off of the subways 3 stops too far, and we decided to walk. We passed the University which was crowded with bikes and scooters, turning left we walk down a small two lane road, leading us to a park. The temperature was a warm 85 Deg today so going for a swim would have been great. As we walked through the park, bodies everywhere of half naked people, some were laying, some were sitting, some reading, and some drinking, but all of them enjoying the sun. Unfortunately for me this was not to be my destination, and we continued to walk, over a footbridge that allowed us to cross a crystal clear river, and around the “mountain” as it was called, in hopes of finding the lonely Chinese tower that would be a symbol of how close we were. After asking many people which way we had to go, we stumbled upon it. Eagerly securing a table in the shade, we then went to get our first beer of the day. It was a liter, and boy was the mug heavy. I looked around and could not help but laugh when I saw some people required two hands to drink from the mug. So this is how our afternoon was spent, in the company off good people, sharing laughter and jokes. I can see pictures of all the tourist attractions on the internet, but I can not find that afternoon spent laughing on the net. While it was not how I originally saw my day in Munich going, I truly enjoyed myself. Besides, I will be going back to Munich again, where I will take plenty of pictures.  As for now, I must catch this overnight train to Hamburg. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment