Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Munich enroute to Caen – July 14th


Class let out early and a mad dash began. Students were rushing to catch a bus in hopes of getting their bags and making it to the train station in time to catch the 2pm train. It seems almost everyone made it. Lucky for all of us, in the train station is a grocery store. Redbull, champagne, wine, vodka, and beer was purchased at a rapid pace. (if ever purchasing a drink at the train station - reach for the ones in the back, they are the coldest) Standing on the platform waiting to bored, it looked like it was going to be an exciting ride. Within a few minutes of boarding the train, champagne popping open was echoing through out the car. I enjoyed my beers, and had some vodka and redbull that was being passed around. It seems our entire group all stopped off in Munich.

Munich seems to be the stepping off point, unless you were going south to Italy, well no one was going to Italy this weekend, after Munich, we would be enroute to our separate destinations, somewhere going to Amsterdam, some to Northern Germany, and some to France. We rendezvoused at the Hofbrauhaus. We ended up at two different tables close together.

           Drinks are flowing, people are laughing, it truly was a great bonding experience, til it was ruined. While no one is really sure how it started, we all agree somehow we offended the German wait staff. Maybe it was because we were loud, talking from table to table, maybe it was because we were loud, and speaking English, or maybe it was because we were moving from table to table, regardless they were upset. Our table had ordered food, and waited over an hour and It still had not arrived. Many of us were now intoxicated and hungry, not a good combo. To further elevate things, while I was outside smoking, I started talking to a group of Germans, explaining to them about our group, and where our weekend was taking us. The German proceeded to talk about how much he loved beer, and how he loves to chug beer. I agreed I enjoyed both of those as well. Next thing I know, his friends and him are challenging me to a contest. America vs. Germany, 1 liter each, chugging. I said ok, I have no shame, so it was on.

      A few minutes later we hear 1….2….3….Go and the hefty liter mugs filled with Hofbrauhaus Summer beer came flying up from the table. I was told it took me 7 seconds to down my beer, (there is video that I have not seen yet) while the German was not even ¼ the way done. After the cheering and laughter, we left the hofbrauhaus much to the delight of the manager. Onward to the overnight train!

No comments:

Post a Comment